Internal Exams: Frequently Asked Questions
1. When are my child’s exams?
Years 7 – 10 have end of year exams in the summer term.
2. Where will my child sit their exams?
All exams take place in the student’s normal classroom during a normal
3. When will my child get their exam timetable?
Timetables will be issued approximately two school weeks before the exam
4. Does my child get study leave?
No students in the lower school get study leave. Students are expected in
school full time during their examinations.
5. What does my child do when they are not in an exam?
Students attend their normal timetabled lesson when they are not in an
6. How long is the exam period?
The exam period spans two weeks so that the exams are spread out.
7. Why does my child have to sit exams?
In year 11 students will sit their final exams. These are now nearly all formal
written exams. Over their five year journey they need to become used to
revising and learning larger volumes of information and become familiar with
examination style questions.
8. What happens if my child is absent from an exam?
If your child is absent for an exam subject staff will arrange for a time for
them to catch up.
9. My child has an assessment that says they should get extra time. Do they get
extra time in the internal exams?
As far as possible students with an entitlement to extra time will be given
this. It may not be possible to do this within the hour long lesson, but we will
endeavour to ensure that they have the time at a later date.
10. My child has a statement entitling them to a reader and/or a scribe. Do they
get this in internal exams?
Staff will wherever possible read and/or scribe for a student. Priority is given
to students in older year groups if there is a clash.
Christopher Whitehead Language College and Sixth Form,
Phone: 01905 423906