Action For Children
Action for Children are currently delivering a new programme of support to Year 9 students at CWLC called ‘Bouncing Back’. The programme aims to improve resilience and increase the ability to ‘bounce back’ when things go wrong in their lives. The programme helps young people to explore the relationship between their thoughts, feelings and behaviours and how they can influence these to improve mood and wellbeing. The programme offers practical techniques in order to achieve this.
Looking After Your Physical Health
At Christopher Whitehead Language College and Sixth Form, we recognise the importance of looking after the physical health of our students and staff, but also the promotion of their mental well-being as having equal importance. We call this awareness Mental Wealth.
As such, we are aiming to:
- prioritise the mental wealth of all of the school: staff and students
- build up a ‘treasure chest’ of resources to develop resilience in situations where needed
- teach adults and students ‘how to cope’ with the pressures we feel day-to-day and in a wider context
- be a school that listens to all
- develop staff confidence in dealing with issues with students and colleagues, helping them to recognise when it is a professional issue.
- promote understanding that ‘observation’ is key to identifying issues early.
Kooth is a free online service that offers emotional and mental health support for children and young people. When you sign up you can choose an avatar, which helps to keep you safe and anonymous. You can have a “drop-in” chat with a counsellor or therapist or book a one-to-one session.
Kooth’s counsellors and therapists are available until 10pm, 365 days a year. You can talk to other young people anonymously on the forums whenever you like, and keep an online journal.
UNDERSTANDING YOUR BRAIN
BACK TO SCHOOL WEBINARS
SEE, HEAR, RESPOND SUPPORT HUB
Christopher Whitehead Language College and Sixth Form,
Phone: 01905 423906