Thank you for your interest in our fantastic 11-18 school.
We value all our students and believe that, with our support, everyone at Christopher Whitehead Language College and Sixth Form achieves excellence in their education. This is a school that has undergone significant investment with the opening of our £3 million sixth form centre, new dining room and twenty state of the art classrooms that have given all a boost. A twenty first century infrastructure to match the twenty first century education is what we now have.
Our students’ behaviour and attendance have continued to be recognised as exemplary and have been judged to be ‘outstanding’ in our last three Ofsted inspections. All students make significant social and academic progress. These are key performance indicators that tell you our students feel happy, safe and ready to learn. Crucially, they make progress from their starting point. We ensure they follow the correct broad balanced curriculum pathway in order to achieve the best qualifications and develop the best skills for further education and a successful career. No student leaves our school without a course, apprenticeship or a pathway to a successful future. This is a statistic we are particularly proud of as is the fact that currently seventeen staff entrust the school with the education of their children (my third child is in year 13), the staff know what the school achieves.
We are particularly proud of our EBacc qualification which is a good guide for success across key subjects: modern foreign languages, science, history and geography, as well as English and maths. 2016 saw us record the best EBacc results in the county with 42% of students recording A* – C grade with Progress 8 +0.37 (above 0.1 = good) and in 2017 we matched these results under the new exam grading 9 – 4 for English and maths, A* – C for other subjects. Nationally, the figure was 22% in 2016.
GCSE success has continued, with the 2016 results being surpassed in a year when nationally results dipped:
- A*- C inc English and maths, level 4 and beyond 70%
- EBacc 42%
- English/English Literature (9 – 4), 85%
- Maths (9 – 4), 75% – no student recorded a U grade
- Whole school attendance 96.2% which tells me that generally students are happy to come to school and can see the value of education
A-level results with our first cohort were excellent and will continue to improve:
- 99% A* – E compared to 97% nationally
- 48% A* – B grades
- Overall sixth formers averaged a grade equating to a strong C+
- All have progressed to university or apprenticeship. 100% using our sixth form to make progress.
I believe this success is not simply due to talented teachers working hard but due to:
- Specialist A-level teachers.
- A wide range of courses and smaller groups that do not exceed 18.
- The ‘Impetus’ programme of guest speakers that has seen a variety of inspirational speakers from Oxford, Birmingham and Bristol universities including TV personality Professor Lord Winston.
- A wide ranging enrichment programme that has been developed by the students and sixth form.
This has seen the sixth form grow from a first cohort of 50 students to 115 new year 12 students who come from 9 different institutions across Worcestershire.
I believe this is a happy, vibrant school that offers life-changing experiences. We run twenty-four after school clubs and in-school experiences, allowing academic, sporting, dramatic and artistic development to the highest standards.
I hope you get the sense of excitement and privilege we all feel from working in this lovely school, giving opportunities for our young people to learn and excel. ‘In pursuit of excellence’ is our mantra, which is much more than a strap-line and can be seen in every aspect of our school where personal development is as important as academic success.
Headteacher’s Blog – https://neilmorriscwlc.wordpress.com