Mrs D Plaskitt
At KS4 we offer a Level 1/2 Technical Award in the study of hair and beauty. This is equivalent to one GCSE, so students can choose this course as one of their option subjects. At KS5 we offer VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Hairdressing. This is equivalent to 3 A-levels, so students studying Hairdressing do not undertake any other KS5 course.
Courses at KS4 and KS5 have both theory and practical elements. All practical work us undertaken in our own hairdressing salon, “Aspirations”. Our salon is open to members of the public and is run as a business. This gives learners the opportunity to experience a real working environment, which allows them to develop skills that are transferrable to the workplace, both in salons and other industries beyond hairdressing.
Hairdressing and beauty therapy has been and remains an extremely popular vocational area that many young people are enthused by and aspire to. The qualification aims to use the hair and beauty sector to develop learners more broadly, so they are sufficiently prepared and equipped with the knowledge, understanding and skills to pursue a career of any context. The qualification will also provide a sound basis for progression onto further hairdressing and beauty therapy qualifications, apprenticeships or into the workplace.
This qualification has been developed for learners aged 14-16 with an interest in hairdressing and/or beauty therapy. It aims to support young people to:
- Develop a broad understanding of the hair and beauty sector.
- Develop significant knowledge which spans the entire vocational sector and related industries.
- Develop academic and study skills that will support progression within the hair and beauty sector and more broadly, across the range of sectors.
Students will cover the following topics over two years
- UCO90 – Business and entrepreneurship in the hair and beauty sector
- UCO91 – Anatomy, physiology and cosmetic science
- UCO92 – Design in the hair and beauty sector
Christopher Whitehead Language College and Sixth Form,
Phone: 01905 423906